February 4, 2010

Dear Megan

 

Do you remember over Christmas when you convinced me to try Judaism for this year? Your push was Hanukkah: 8 presents, no Santa, and, of course, gambling with the dreidel. After about a second, I agreed. Remember??

Well, Jeremy is getting concerned.

You see. We are trying to buy a house... and I'm in school... and, well, we just aren't rich. And I'm beginning to think that to be Jewish you must have to be rich.

It all started when I downloaded all the Jewish holidays to my calendar... Megan, do you know how many holidays there are??? I do have to admit I love holidays and a reason to celebrate. But then I started to look into the first few coming up.

Did you know that this past weekend was Tu B'Shevat? Yup, Jewish Arbor Day. I read that we were supposed to eat dried fruits and nuts, celebrate the first flowering of the trees in Israel, and donate money to plant trees. So I immediately went out and bought you trail mix and a beautiful card. (I'll send it to you through Ryan this weekend.) I figured since I directly work to raise money for trees, that would suffice for the donation...

Like I said, Jeremy is getting concerned.

The next holiday is Taanit Ester.

It is a fast to remember Esther and how she saved the Jewish nation. Except... I have a huge luncheon that day and I am speaking as a guest... at lunch!

Now, I'm concerned... I really like free food.

Then, three days later we come to Purim.

Purim is one of the most joyous and fun holidays on the Jewish calendar. I was really excited when I told Jeremy. There are even special cookies called hamentaschen. (I'm hoping a local bakery makes them... Come on, I can accept defeat before I even step into the ring because that's just the kind of woman I am.) Then, I explained to him that we would also need to take food baskets to a couple our friends... and donate money to a food bank...

And, then he said it... "Jessica, how much is this going to cost us???"

I tried to explain to him the little I knew about minor and major holidays... and how much I was learning... and how you and I were bonding... but then he showed me a picture of a home... a cute little home...

and the Jewish holidays mysteriously disappeared from my computer...

But don't worry. I'll still take you to the Jewish Temple...



Disclaimer: My sister has always been interested by the Jewish faith, although, she herself is not Jewish. I think it has something to do with the color blue and the eight presents at Hanukkah...or maybe it was all the time we spent growing up watching Seinfeld...who knows...Just note that she nor I are in it for the jokes...

1 comment:

Debbie Poehler said...

Oy vey...another good blog, Jessica. But really, will outsiders think we are the strangest family? It's just a concern...