May 6, 2011

A Great Read: The Book Thief

I love to read.

The characters and I become friends.

I walk beside them and grow as they grow.

I see the places they travel, feel their pain, and rejoice as they rejoice.

And when the story ends, I have a moment of silence to remember and to mourn that we must now part.

To me, books are wonderfully beautiful.

My latest read is definitely one of my favorite.



The Book Thief by Markus Zusak takes you to the 1930s and 1940s in Germany when Hitler reigns. It is an amazing book about a little girl in a foster home figuring out life in a communist country through the books that she steals and a Papa that loves her so much that he, an uneducated painter, teaches her to read those books and how to love. Told through the eyes of Death, you would think that this book were depressing or dark. But ironically, I found myself smiling through most of it. The Book Thief shows that words are powerful and can be both good and bad. Follow those words by action and one can make a difference in a horrible world. Even a thirteen-year-old girl.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great summer read. It's a book that promises to leave a bit of it behind on your heart.

No comments: