April 22, 2011

Parenting Mishaps

I'll be the first to admit that having a kid has some pretty great perks. People open the door for you. Cashiers will run and get that one item you forgot off the shelf so that you don't have to take your baby all the way to the back of the store. The bag boy takes your groceries to your car. And you get to relive your childhood.

Case in point: Sidewalk Chalk. Yes, on a recent visit to Target and the dollar aisle, I came across sidewalk chalk. I was elated. Four colors PLUS a holder for one dollar. I just knew Bradley and I were going to have so much fun this summer writing on our brick back porch... that is until I got home and Jeremy pointed out that there was a 3+ age sticker on the cover and that Bradley would probably just eat it anyway. And so now we have chalk for Bradley's 3rd birthday!

Second case: Songs. Bradley LOVES all the childhood songs. His favorites are Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and The Wheels on The Bus. This works out really well because I love to sing. And he happens to prefer my voice to Jeremy's. (Score!) So when we were casually walking through Wal-Mart and heard The Wheels on The Bus playing, we both stopped. Bradley let out a coo and smiled really big sealing the deal to buy the CD.

And, of course, I was just as excited so the minute we got to the car, I opened it and put it in my CD player and waited... and waited... and waited. But nothing played. I pressed a couple buttons. Took it out. Put it back in and still nothing. So I immediately pulled Bradley back out of the car and went right back in and told them it was broke.

Now, just so you know, you cannot return an opened CD or DVD. You can only exchange it. We did.

Back in the car, I open the new one and put it in the CD player. Still nothing. I am beyond myself. There's no way two would not work. I immediately assume that it must be my player and decide to try it in our computer. As we are leaving the parking lot, I realize that I forgot to press the power button to turn on the stereo...

So today I am thankful. I am thankful for a fun, working CD, the fact that in three years I will not have to buy sidewalk chalk, and that Bradley has a really smart dad.

No comments: