November 7, 2009

Hard work



This picture was taken last year on mine and Jeremy's 1st Anniversary trip to San Antonio. It's hard to believe that we've been married for two and a half years. It may sound like a short amount of time, but it feels much longer.

Jeremy and I met in high school through his sister. I liked him instantly. But I had to wait. I waited 2 years until we dated the first time and another 2 years after our "summer fling" until the next time we dated. So when he proposed 3 years later, I wanted to yell hallelujah. I was tired of waiting to start our lives together.

I'll never forget the first time I was asked how I liked marriage. I laughed and said it felt like a 24 hour sleepover with my best friend. We were having so much fun. We'd known each other so long that moving in together wasn't too hard. We had our share of fights before we said I do, and had 2 marriage counseling classes to work through our expectations. It felt easy.

But you know, marriage isn't always easy. It is also really hard work.

These past few months have been tough. In August, I went back to school to get my MBA. Two nights out of the week I go after work and sit in a classroom until 8. Then, weekends are busy with papers, homework, and studying for tests. Two weekends ago I actually considered moving in to Panera so that I wouldn't have to carry my laptop back and forth. The manager explained to me, though, that I had to go home.

Then, I have work, Junior League, bible study, church, home group and friends that in order to keep as friends I need to hang out with occasionally. I feel stressed 24/7. The best way to explain it is that my brain is about 3/4 Einstein's brain (Yes, I'd like to think I'm that smart.), but I'm trying to cram enough information in it for 2 Einstein brains. It just isn't possible.

Then, there's Jeremy's schedule. He has work which starts at 6 a.m., Bible Study, home group, volunteer work, and his friends that he needs to see. He also had surgery 6 weeks ago and is still semi-recovering.

For about 3 weeks now, I have come home to Jeremy asleep on the couch. He gets up so early and works overtime, and I can't seem to get home before 9 at night!

Both of us have missed each other terribly. I've missed talking about our days. I've missed Jeremy's cooking. I've missed snuggling!

But you know what I haven't missed? I haven't missed the comfort in knowing that each night I get to fall asleep next to the love of my life. I haven't missed peace in knowing that this is just a stage and it will soon pass. I haven't missed the support and encouragement from Jeremy. I haven't missed the butterflies in my stomach when Jeremy kisses me good-bye for the day. And I haven't missed laughing with Jeremy over the stupidest things that no one else would find funny. I haven't missed all these things because they haven't left. He's my family now.

And when I do get a break from the busy life to spend with Jeremy, it is even more special Because in those moments it is just me and him.. our dog...and, for last night, our Johnson Movie night.... and it was perfect.


(Yes, Parker actually watches the movies with us. He really likes cartoons. Kung Fu Panda was his favorite.)

No comments: