August 30, 2011

Done and Done

Warning: I am operating as a single parent of a sick baby this week. This means that I am not thinking clearly, am fully exhausted, and have no idea what day of the week it is or what time it is. Therefore, I am not responsible for anything said below or on following posts this week. Thank you for understanding.

This past weekend I did it. I completed my first 5k run.

Yes, I felt like I was dying at the end. Yes, I was nauseous for about two hours after. Yes, I was shaking and unable to move the rest of the day. But I did it.

This was a huge accomplishment for me. For one, I hate running. I do not find joy in pushing myself to the brink of death in order to grasp a "second wind." Nor do I like to run until my legs turn into jello. Call me sane.

But one day I was possessed with a desire to run in a 5k. I think I might have been under the influence of osmosis from other runners; our town seems to be filled with them.

At the time, I was less than 3 months away from puking my brains out due to being with child. So, needless to say, running a 5k was put on hold.

It was on hold until the child came out and I got back into exercise. I knew I'd never accomplish such an out of place goal without a little push so I signed up for the first 5k that came across Facebook.

The unfortunate part of this detail is that as a novice to running I had little to no idea of how I should choose my first race. It quickly came out that I chose not only one of the hottest times of the year to run in a race, but I also chose the hardest race to run. I'm talking about major hills throughout the race.

From experienced runners I'd get a slight look down and a not so positive "You can do it" comment. From other novices I'd get "Um... that is going to be tough."

Then, Jeremy and I drove the course. We got lost and then realized that on one of those hills, my automatic car rolled backwards. I sat at the top of the hill and cried. Jeremy asked me why I didn't do more research. I asked if I had to run in it. He said we'd take it like champs and I'd have to up my ante.

So the week of the race I hit the gym hard. My first night I ran two miles without stopping. After I finished, three employees came up to me to ask if I was okay. They were quite nice. I pretended like I didn't think I was dying from a heart attack.

Later that night, I took off my shoes to find that I had also lost quite a bit of blood. This could explain why I had felt lightheaded. My sister asked me if my feet hurt. But alas my feet and legs had been numb since I ran those two miles which was about two hours prior. So no, I felt no pain.

I believe, I cried myself to sleep that night as well.

I thought about writing a farewell letter on here the day before the race. Letting you all know how much you mean to me and then how to arrange my funeral. But I decided that I needed to be positive the day before.

I tried, but honestly, I was a nervous wreck. I knew the course was hard. I knew I was not prepared fully for such a course. I was seriously afraid of embarrassing myself.

Here's a picture before the race:


And here's a picture right after:


The course was h.a.r.d. to say the least. At the first mile marker, I looked at Jeremy and said "that's it??" My body felt like I had run two miles already. The hills were seriously killer. And I'd lie if I didn't tell you that towards the end when I had to get over yet another hill, I started to get bitter. But Jeremy encouraged me and we trekked on and finished strong. My time was 41 minutes and a few seconds. Not too bad considering the hills and my lack of training on such massive hills.


At the time, I really thought I was dying and would never ever think of running again. But now that a couple days have passed, I really feel like I might need to do it one more time on an easier course and see if I can improve my time.

I told this to Jeremy and he said I need to train harder for the next one. 

PS Did you notice how his "before" picture and "after" picture look identical???? And, unfortunate for me, he did no training for this race.... stupid boys.

PSS He has also informed me that he wants to race in this race again next year except more competitively. I'm sure he's implying it would be without me. This almost makes me want to train on that course and out do him. Almost.

PSSS Seriously, thank you to all those who supported me before, during and after the race. You all were so sweet to me. I really do love you all.

PSSSS You should see my calves. They are beee-aaauuu-tiful. Runners calves indeed. I guess this means to keep them I have to keep running. Phooey.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

my hat is off to you, friend! proud of your accomplishment. and that you lived to tell about it!